As many of you know, I’ve set a goal to catch up on every single episode of LOST before the series finale at the end of May. I am also writing poems for each episode on a blog I’m calling The LOST Semester, similar to Jed Berry’s LOST haikus. This started out as an excuse to watch a lot of TV (because my boyfriend already thinks I watch too much of it) and has turned into an exercise in abstract poetics and sticktoitness.
Easier said than done. Having only just finished Season Two last night, I realize that I have less than two months to watch FOUR MORE SEASONS! That’s about one hundred episodes, which comes out to seventy hours of television. If I can stick to a regimen, I’ll have to watch at least two episodes a night. This means I’ll have to forgo all other television distractions, such as Gossip Girl, Project Runway, 30 Rock, DVDs of Deadwood, maybe even the soon-to-premiere Treme.
Can I do it?? Only time will tell…
Lots of exciting news focused around a theme (in the form of an exciting person):
1) The new issue of H_NGM_N just went live! And your friends are there! Fiction by Emily Toder as well as poems by David Bartone, Philip Muller, yours truly, and a beautiful triptych of “Revisionisms” by Leigh Stein.
2) The good folks at Mondo Bummer Press have just published a chapbook by Leigh, entitled Summer In Paris. A trip to the France inside Leigh’s brain for only $2??? Sign me up!
3) Finally, Leigh is organizing a “fun raiser” to buy a Flip Cam and record the poetic exploits of her puppets at AWP, Denver. Learn more about the Poets & Puppets Project and donate here.
A sweet new She & Him video for their first single off of Volume Two:
Also sweet, the new Octopus just went live and contains lovely poems by Lesley Yalen, Natalie Lyalin, Bin Ramke, Claire Donato, Chris DeWeese, & Justin Marks, to name just a few, as well as reviews & recoveries by Seth Landman & Nate Pritts.
It might be a Monday, and I might have come down with a really bad cold, but here are some things we can all be happy about:
1) Katherine Bigelow kicked some serious butt at the Oscars last night.
2) It’s Natalie Lyalin Week on HTMLGIANT!
3) The Staten Island PS22 chorus recently posted their gorgeous cover of Phoenix’s “Lisztomania” and it’s a heartstopper: