Save the date: On September 16th Leigh Stein and I are reading for The Reading at Chrystie Street (which is actually at the Four-Face Liar on West 4th Street). More reminders to come. Here are “Three Ghazals for Departure” by Leigh.
Listen to this! It’s the new project by José González and it’s melodic.
The Anna Karenina Book Group is continuing on but from now on we’re just called The Book Group. This month we’re reading Kazuo Ishiguro’s Never Let Me Go.
IKEA is still being a bitch and my bed is missing pieces but I’m much happier with my new new haircut than with the old new haircut. (Thank you Melanie at Dop Dop!) I might post some pictures soon.
Also, is it too late to change career paths and become a “flower stylist”? Maybe if I call myself a “word stylist” people will give me money.
Last week I got a shitty haircut (more on that later) that I’ll be getting fixed on Thursday. I was only moderately successful in buying a bed at IKEA yesterday, I have to go back again to buy the frame. Then out of sheer frustration I ended up buying a $100 vacuum cleaner at Target which I had great difficulty assembling.
And now it’s Monday. But at least I remembered to bring my umbrella with me and I can listen to the new Ra Ra Riot album at work. It is beautiful.
Friends, I have been so bad at blogging and I have no excuse.
Here are some things that have happened since my last post:
- I drove up to Northampton a few weeks ago to rescue my bike and hang out with good folks. While I was there, Anne and I got the good news that our I Am A Natural Wonder project will be published as an online chapbook by Blue Hour Press!
- Marisa and I went to IKEA and almost threw out our backs transporting my new Expedite bookcase and her Malm dresser. (The beautiful Linnarp writing desk I’m wanting was out of stock.) To recover we met up with Matt and had dinner in the garden at Cheers Thai.
- We’re having our last Anna Karenina Book Group meeting on Wednesday night. I’m behind! I have 170 pages to read in two days!
- Leigh and I have been going to a lot of yoga and seeing a lot of big budget movies. Hey, it’s summer. We also drank expensive beers and witnessed this live and in person.
- It was Andy’s birthday last week. On Monday we went to Bacchus for a romantic dinner in their back yard and I got attacked by mosquitoes. On Saturday we shot rifles at a shooting range and then shot pool at a fancy pool hall.
- The top searches for my blog right now are: snooki hot, snooki breast, pirate hat, new lady gaga, “lily ladewig”
Here are some readings I’m excited about this week:
- Tuesday, August 17 @ 7pm *** Dzanc Best of the Web : Brian Baldi, Elissa Bassist, Rachel Bunting, Sasha Fletcher, Krystal Languell, Leigh Stein, & August Tarrier *** McNally Jackson, 52 Prince Street, NYC
- Thursday, August 19 @ 7pm *** The Reading at Chrystie Street Takes Back Sextilis: Luke Bloomfield & Daniel Coudriet *** Four-Faced Liar, 165 West 4th Street, NYC
Something else to be excited about: Amy King and Heidi Lynn Staples created Poets for Living Waters in May as a call for poets to respond to the BP oil spill off the Gulf of Mexico. Some amazing friends and writers who’ve already participated are Sam Starkweather, Paige Taggart, Mike Young, Carolyn Zaikowski, Nate Logan, Sarah Green, CAConrad, etc, etc, etc. Anne and I have some “Natural Wonder” poems up today! Click here.